Dana Shefet

Hometown: Cary, NC

Career interests: Family Medicine

Hobbies: Running (800 miles a year- let me know if you want to run a race with me!), reading psychological thrillers, and working on hiking every National Park in the United States.

Undergraduate Education: East Carolina University class of 2021- Bachelor of Science in Public Health, minors in Mathematics, Nutrition and Natural Sciences

Experiences

Himalayan Health Exchange Medical Expedition

Through the Brody Scholars Summer Enrichment Program, I had the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in July of 2022 serving alongside a team of 28 individuals, including medical students and physicians in Spiti Valley in the Indian Himalayan mountains. During this time, we caravanned to 6 villages, held 10 clinic days, and served over 850 patients. With the help of translators, I interviewed patients, performed physical exams and formulated a differential diagnosis. I then presented it to the attending physician and together we would meet with the patients to give our recommendations and appropriate prescriptions which we were able to provide. This program allowed me to gain meaningful hands-on clinical experience while diving into the culture of Northern India.

Service-Learning Distinction Track (SLDT)

Through the Service-Learning Distinction Track, I participated in various service activities during my M1 summer, as well as two weeks of enrichment activities related to service-learning and epidemiology. Through this track, I have participated in the Service-Learning Track Lecture Series, longitudinal service experiences including assisting with Head Start summer health fairs, and will be completing a capstone project as well as earning a Rural Health Disparities certificate upon my graduation from medical school. My capstone project is creating a 20 ingredient, no word, financially conscious cookbook for the Greenville community utilizing recipes and ideas from low income, low resource patients under the supervision of Dr. Pories.

AAFP Well-Being Champion

I have served in a national capacity with the AAFP as a “Well-Being Champion.” In this role, I contribute to the development, delivery, and teaching of programs focused on well-being, resilience, burnout, and suicide prevention for medical students, residents, and physicians as part of AAFP’s “Physicians Health First” initiative. I have presented at the Brody School of Medicine, various online forums, and national events, implementing wellness lectures and training future facilitators to run their own programs.

Obesity Stigma Research Family Medicine Department with Dr. Kellner Pruett

Alongside Dr. Pruett, we analyzed if increased exposure to obesity medicine education changes the perception of learners towards patients with obesity within the Family Medicine Residency Department at ECU.

Increasing Workflow Efficiency at ECU Family Medicne Clinics with Dr. Jessica Triche

Conducted a QI Project to streamline communication and workflow processes to increase provider satisfaction in ECU FM outpatient clinic through the implementation of a door flag system.

Brody Ambassadors President (2022-23)

The purpose of the Brody Ambassadors Mentorship Program is to help connect ECU undergraduate students with medical student mentors, as well as to increase the involvement of medical students within the community and to promote medical education.

Family Medicine Interest Group President (2022-23)

This organization informs Brody students about topics in Family Medicine, exposes them to different subspecialties, and learn about the match process from our M4s. This role also allowed me to serve as the American Academy of Family Medicine Student Delegate for Brody.

Pitt County Care Clinic Coordinator (2022-23)

I applied and was chosen to be Physician Recruitment Coordinator for the Pitt County Care Clinic, a free, medical-student led clinic that serves the citizens of Pitt county. As a coordinator, my clinic duties included organizing volunteers and physicians, ordering laboratory testing, and ensuring all patients’ needs were cared for.

Upcoming Plans

In my fourth year, I am eager to further develop my clinical skills and navigate the residency application process in family medicine. I am excited to find a residency program that will equip me to become a confident, full-spectrum family physician, capable of caring for patients of all ages. I am also looking forward to spending time with those who have supported me throughout my medical school journey.

Cary native receives ECU’s most prestigious scholarship (PDF)

Honors, Awards & Societies:

Gold Humanism Honor Society
Servire Society

Dana Shefet