Jessica Tucci-Herron

Hometown: Greenville, North Carolina

Career interests: Family Medicine

Hobbies: Playing volleyball & tennis, eating, reading, traveling, ceramics/drawing

Education Undergraduate: East Carolina University (2017) – B.A. Psychology, minor Hispanic Studies

Enrichment Experiences

Camp Hope Foundation Volunteering in Ecuador
Through the Brody Scholars Summer Enrichment Program, I spent two weeks in June of 2018 volunteering at the Camp Hope Foundation in Quito, Ecuador. This is a center for disabled individuals where they receive physical, occupational, and speech therapy, as well as medical and dental services. I worked primarily with disabled adults with cerebral palsy with physical therapy exercises, feeding, bathroom assistance, and other various activities. Through this volunteering, as well as the medical Spanish classes I took through the Andean Global Studies program, I enhanced my Spanish-speaking ability to better serve the Hispanic population in Pitt County, as well as gained a better understanding of working with the disabled population.

Medical Student Council Class President
I have been involved in the Medical Student Council (MSC) since I began at Brody. Last year, I was elected to serve as class president, and have continued to do so throughout my fourth year. Through this role, my main priority is keeping our class unified as we are spread out through the hospital during our clinical rotations and finding ways to ensure everyone’s voice is being heard. I also serve as a liaison between my classmates and Student Affairs, especially this year regarding our preparation for our residency applications. Additionally, through MSC, I have enjoyed serving as a member on an LCME committee, as we prepared for our accreditation visit in 2020.

Service-Learning Distinction Track (SLDT)
Through the SLDT, I participated in various service activities during the summer of 2018, as well as two weeks of enrichment activities related to service-learning and epidemiology. I volunteered in Ecuador, the Pitt County Care Clinic, the Greenville Community Shelter Clinic, and at the Medical Food Pantry, as well as ran a week of a physiology camp at the Third Street Education Center. Through this track, I have participated in the Service-Learning Track Lecture Series, longitudinal service experiences, as well as will complete a capstone project this year that will work to increase access to wheelchair ramps to patients upon hospital discharge.

Upcoming Plans

I am excited to have chosen the field of Family Medicine as my future specialty! Through my final year, I will be applying to residency programs throughout the country, participating in both Family Medicine and other elective rotations, and interviewing to find the perfect training program for me. I hope to match at a program that allows for robust training, with opportunities in women’s health and reproductive health, addiction medicine, and/or LGBTQ+ health, if possible. Most importantly, I look forward to being at a program where I get along with my co-residents and faculty well and feel truly supported in my learning and future career goals. In my spare time, I hope to eat lots of takeout from new restaurants, master the art of Zoom socials, and explore new outdoor places with my dog.